Monday 24 June 2013

Culture Days



As a part of our Culture Project we have to write about ten presentations we went to and decide on the three best presentations. As I went to see about 15 presentations, because I was in the Tech Team, I’m not going to write about all of them but just of the ten I liked most.

1. Two Heroines of American Aviation: Amelia Earhart and Bessie Coleman
This presentation was about two women, Amelia Earhart, who was the first woman to do a transatlantic flight and Bessie Coleman, who was a famous African American woman to do stunt flying. Even though this topic didn’t match my interests, the presentation was so perfectly interesting structured that I enjoyed it very much.
2.  Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly – Irish bands from America
I found this presentation very interesting not only because I love music, but also because it was structured very well with the two interviews. The topic itself was new to me and I really thought that Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly were Irish bands but actually they are American and this was kind of shocking to me, because I think that many people believe that these two bands are from Ireland.
3. Willie Daly
Although I was not familiar with this lovely story, I really enjoyed the story as well as the presentation. Willie Daly is probably one of the kindest men on earth because he tried to match people together and made this for free. Willie is a matchmaker because he feels sad for all the farmers that have to live alone and therefore tries to find a matching person for them. The person who gave this presentation was really showing interest in her topic and this made is even more interesting for me.
4. How the World sees Booby Sands
I was not familiar with Bobby Sands either but I was so impressed of this topic that I’m definitely going to watch his new movie “Hunger”. The fact that he made a 66-day hunger strike for achieving freedom is really impressive.
5.  Abortion Law in Ireland – A Pro-Choice View
The fact that Ireland has one of the strictest abortion laws was really frightening to me because the story about the three women who suffered because they were not allowed to get an abortion, shows that it is not really fair.
6. The Symbolism of the Harp
I have to admit that it really didn’t match my interests and the only thing I remember from this presentation was that there is a harp used on the Guiness beer as well. The only difference between the Guiness harp and the harp used on the Euro coin is that it faces the opposite site. Nevertheless, it was a good presentation and Julia really seemed to know what she’s talking about.
7. Paying for national heritage - Parking charges at Cliffs of Moher
I really enjoyed Blandine’s presentation, even though she seemed to be a bit bored. I have been to the Cliffs of Moher as well and therefore I could relate to the topic, but the parking charges were new information to me because I went there by bus.
8. The impact of global warming on Ireland's agriculture
This topic was really informative and interesting but also difficult to understand because Christian was talking a bit too fast to be able to follow him in every point he mentioned. What I found shocking was the impact the Gulf Stream has on Ireland and its climate. That there will be a great extinction of species is really sad.
9. The Life on Irish Traveller Woman
The TV-series “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding” seemed really funny to me, according the pictures we were shown. It was interesting that even though the series is called “My Big Fat GYPSY Wedding”, it’s actually about Irish Travellers and these two terms don’t represent the same kind of people. Gypsies have their origins in India and often have a dark complexion, whereas Irish Travellers have their origins in Ireland. It was not the most interesting topic to me, but it was interesting.
10. Comics in America
I really thought that this presentation would be much more interesting. Instead, the person who gave the presentation was talking monotonous, which made it quite boring. Nonetheless, I found it interesting that women were represented as sex-symbols, which made them to victims.


The most interesting ones were undoubtedly Willy Daly, Bobby Sands and the Abortion Laws in Ireland. Not only the topics were interesting, but the presentation itself was really good. They were well structured so that they were able to catch my attention. Besides, they were clear to understand, because they were mainly talking freely which made it easier to pay attention as well. 
The most interesting presentation due to its title was "Ellen DeGeneres-a modern woman and her influence on America". Unforntunately I was not able to go and see this presentation, because I had an Italian exam :(

No comments:

Post a Comment